Saturday, September 13, 2008

What does Church mean to you?

Well, after thinking about this, I believe it is about a family. Remember those Christmas reunions where you haven't seen your cousins, aunts and uncles in five years and you finally meet them; those cousins who have had kids that you have never met. In all of this you spend the day getting to know each other again, reminiscing about the last time you met. At one stage everyone is sad because there are some family members who can't make it. There are some cousins you don't really want to see because they rubbed you up the wrong way last time, but now you dust it off and go and chat and play and beat each other up again ... Oh the good times.

This is what I want to see Church like. It doesn’t matter where you meet as long as everyone is there. ‘Church’ to me are the people. We are a family. We meet every week, sing together, listen together, pray together and chat together. We share what has happened during the week, reminisce about good times, share our dreams for the future, and encourage those who are struggling. We are a family.

F - Forgiveness
A - Acceptance
M - Mindful
I - Interested
L - Listen
Y - Yourself

These are 6 things I believe are the genetic make-up of a FAMILY. Forgiveness: it doesn't matter how bad we are offended at someone, we always forgive them because we are related. Acceptance: We put away where we come from, what we do for a living, and love each other for who we all are. Mindful: My older brother always watched out for me, at school, on the bus, hey that is what a big brother or sister is for and I believe this should be seen in the church. Interested: It is not just a 'How are you?' but a 'Really... How are you?' I want someone who is interested in me and doesn't just past me with a hi-bye type of attitude (I'm still working on this in my own life... you can even get busy in church- take a chill pill and stop) Listen: Again this is about not being self-centered and really paying attention to our brothers and sisters in Christ. Finally - Yourself: This is a big one... so many of us put on a mask every Sunday (and for girls - literally hehe) and we hide who we really are, we don't want people to see that we are not 'perfect' and that sometimes we are hurt or get down.

The underlying thought for all of this is LOVE and it should be a given, it is what we are all seeking and it is what we should be giving. GOD is LOVE.

I pray as we think about these things that we consider... well I am a part of the church, am I doing these things? We can't change overnight but all it takes is one step at a time.

God Bless

No comments: